Be Prepared To Drive Outside Of The US

When you decide to drive abroad, you want to make sure that you are following all of the rules – and preparing for everything you may encounter. The road signs may be different, and you may even be driving on the other side of the road. There are some ways to prepare so that it is not such a frightening experience.

You may need more than just a US driver’s license. Many countries require a translation, which comes in the form of an International Driving Permit. These are often available from National Auto Club and AAA for a small fee.

You have to be at least 18 years of age to get an IDP – and there may be other driving requirements by age based upon the country you are visiting as well as the rental car company you are using.

Just as insurance is a must in the United States, you want to make sure that you have coverage for your rental car abroad as well. This can be obtained independently or from the rental car company. Know your coverage options before you go and make some cost comparisons.

There are a few other things you want to prepare for, which can include:

  • Driving a stick
  • The steering wheel being on the “wrong” side
  • Traffic within city centers

Do as much as you can to practice for these scenarios.

It can be advantageous to rent a GPS, which will ensure you have adequate driving directions. It also ensures you don’t have to depend on a cellular signal and paying roaming rates for using your smartphone.

You want to be the safest on the road as possible. Call today and our agents at Front Range Insurance Services can discuss various levels of insurance coverage for you in Colorado.