As the temperatures continue to drop, the chances of a strong winter storm increase. Are you and your family prepared? At Front Range Insurance Services of Littleton, CO, we want our clients to and their homes to stay warm and well-protected all season long. Use this checklist to ensure that you and your home are ready for the next blast of cold weather.
Protecting Yourself During a Storm
While it may not be possible to avoid a winter storm, you can prepare yourself for it in advance with an emergency kit including:
- One gallon of water and non-perishable food per person for at least three days.
- Flashlight, radio, and cell-phone charger.
- Medical supplies and prescription medications.
- Sanitation items including hand sanitizer, paper towels, and plastic bags.
- Warm clothing, blankets, and sleeping bags to use should you lose power.
Protecting Your Home During a Storm
You can also prepare your home in advance of a winter storm:
- Check smoke alarm batteries and ensure that everyone in the family knows how to use the fire extinguisher.
- Insulate water pipes and allow faucets to drip to avoid freezing pipes.
- Have a contractor check your roof’s structural ability to withstand the accumulation of heavy ice and snow.
- Winterize your home by replacing weather stripping under doors, insulating walls and attics, and caulking windows.
- Have the heating system and chimney professionally cleaned and inspected.
- Clear the roof and gutters of debris, leaves, and branches.
By keeping an emergency supply kit handy and performing regular winter maintenance on your home, you will have peace of mind knowing your home is ready for the next winter storm. In the event that your home is damaged during a winter storm, the professional agents at Front Range Insurance Services of Littleton, CO are here to help.