Be Prepared To Drive Outside Of The US

When you decide to drive abroad, you want to make sure that you are following all of the rules – and preparing for everything you may encounter. The road signs may be different, and you may even be driving on the other side of the road. There are some ways to prepare so that it is not such a frightening experience.

You may need more than just a US driver’s license. Many countries require a translation, which comes in the form of an International Driving Permit. These are often available from National Auto Club and AAA for a small fee.

You have to be at least 18 years of age to get an IDP – and there may be other driving requirements by age based upon the country you are visiting as well as the rental car company you are using.

Just as insurance is a must in the United States, you want to make sure that you have coverage for your rental car abroad as well. This can be obtained independently or from the rental car company. Know your coverage options before you go and make some cost comparisons.

There are a few other things you want to prepare for, which can include:

  • Driving a stick
  • The steering wheel being on the “wrong” side
  • Traffic within city centers

Do as much as you can to practice for these scenarios.

It can be advantageous to rent a GPS, which will ensure you have adequate driving directions. It also ensures you don’t have to depend on a cellular signal and paying roaming rates for using your smartphone.

You want to be the safest on the road as possible. Call today and our agents at Front Range Insurance Services can discuss various levels of insurance coverage for you in Colorado.


Hit & Run Coverage: What You Need To Know

There is a lot you need to know about hit and run coverage. Colorado requires you to maintain a minimum level of auto insurance. However, there is additional coverage that you will want to consider so that you can reduce what you would have to pay out-of-pocket if you are involved in any kind of hit and run.

Collision coverage may be required of you, regardless. If you have a lien holder for an auto loan or a lease, they may require collision coverage of a certain level. Regardless of fault, this will help you to get the car repairs necessary so that you can get your car back on the road.

Medical payments coverage protection is going to provide medical bill coverage regardless of fault. This will include protection for you and your passengers for medical bills, lost wages, as well as child care services if you are currently unable to care for your children because of injuries.

Uninsured motorist coverage will provide property damage and bodily injury coverage. Since the other party didn’t stop to provide you with insurance, it’s as if they don’t have insurance – and therefore you will want this coverage to minimize how much you would otherwise pay out-of-pocket.

Finally, you will want to look at medical payments coverage as well. This can help to pay for all of the medical bills that you and your passengers may encounter after being involved in a hit-and-run. Even if everyone has health insurance, the medical bills can be very high and depending upon the extent of injuries, it could be enough to bankrupt you.

It’s important to have auto insurance that you can rely on. Contact one of our agents at Front Range Insurance Services today where we can work with you on a customized policy to help you enjoy peace of mind.